Your location is based on where you are physically and geographically positioned when you’re using the Shapr app or the Shapr website. If you change whereabouts to a different city or country, your location will update accordingly and allow you to meet people nearby. For this to be possible though, you have to enable access to your location on your device.
How do I Enable Access to my Location?
On iOS, simply go to your device’s Settings > Privacy > Location Services (make sure they’re on in general) > Shapr > and tap and select “While using the app.” Next time your batch is reset, you should be able to view people nearby.
On Android, go to the menu and from there hit Settings > More > Permission and then just toggle the on/off switch right next to Location.
For the web version, the location will update based on the browser's location data. If, for example, you do not enable access to your location on the web version, and you are only using the web version, you will have to select your location manually when you sign up for an account. Once you have chosen a location, this can then only be changed by enabling access to your location in a browser or the mobile app, or by using Teleport.
If you can't see that the app has requested access to your location from your device settings, please uninstall the app and reinstall it from the App Store or Google Play Store. Then log in using your email or LinkedIn account (don't worry, your account data will be restored upon signing up).
My Location is not updating properly...
If you have given access to your your location but feel that is not updating correctly, you may want to consider logging out of your account, then logging back in:
On the iPhone app
- Go to the Shapr app, go to your profile, tap the "Settings" icon then "Log out".
- From the welcome screen, log in again using LinkedIn or your account info
On the Android app
- Go to the Shapr app, open the side menu, tap "Settings" then "Log out".
- Fom the welcome screen, log in again using your email and password
If you denied access to your location in your browser
Follow these steps to allow the Shapr website to access your location.
If you’re clocking in from an iPhone, location services must be enabled for Safari in order for us to track your location. To enable location tracking, go to your iPhone Settings > Privacy > Location Services, and make sure to allow “Safari Websites” to access your location “While Using the App”. More info here:
- Open your device’s settings app.
- From the list, touch Chrome .
- Touch Location.
- Choose to either have Chrome never access your location, or allow Chrome access to your location only while using the app.
- Open the Google Chrome app.
- Touch the Chrome menu .
- Touch Settings > Site settings > Location.
- Use the switch to either have Chrome ask before accessing your location, or to block all sites from accessing your location.
- Touch the specific blocked or allowed sites to manage exceptions.
- Open Chrome.
- In the top right, click the Chrome menu .
- Click Settings > Show advanced settings.
- In the “Privacy” section, click Content settings.
- In the dialog that appears, scroll down to the “Location” section. Select your default permission for future location requests:
- Allow all sites to track your physical location: Select this option to let all sites automatically see your location.
- Ask when a site tries to track your physical location: Select this option if you want Google Chrome to alert you whenever a site wants to see your location.
- Do not allow any site to track your physical location: Select this option to automatically deny requests for your location.
- Click Manage exceptions if you want to remove permissions you gave before to specific sites.